Episode Show Notes
0:00 – Intro Music
0:26 – Affirmation:
“I will persist until I succeed. I was not delivered unto this world in defeat, nor does failure course in my veins. I am not a sheep waiting to be prodded by my shepherd. I am a lion and I refuse to talk, to walk, to sleep with the sheep. I will hear not those who weep and complain, for their disease is contagious. Let them join the sheep. The slaughterhouse of failure is not my destiny. I will persist until I succeed.”
- Og Mandio, The Greatest Salesman in the World.
1:00 – Intro to Ankit
- Travelling nurse
- Helps people throughout the US.
- Written multiple books
- Motivated by his patients. Helps him to understand that he needs to appreciate everything he has, and live life to his fullest. Some issues are worse than others.
4:28 – Pride
- It’s good to be proud of who you are, what you’ve done, and your heritage as long as you don’t go too far.
- It’s important to remain humble and grounded.
- Pride is a good thing because it’s important to have pride in what you are doing, and who you are. Gives you meaning and drive in the things that you do
- Pride is being proud of who you are and what you’re involved in and your beliefs.
- Ankit is proud of his work, his writings, his family, and his marriage.
8:05 – Nursing Experience
- Works with people on dialysis. A treatment for when your kidneys go into failure. It’s a life long treatment, and it’s something that can be difficult for some to deal with because they become dependent on a machine to help keep them alive. This can lead to mental health issues, and so it’s important to support the patients emotionally and mentally as well as physically.
- It’s important to deal with patients on a personal level, and not just pity them. They still need to live a normal life while balancing their treatment.
12:44 – Ankit’s books
- Motivational book that he wrote to inspire and help people: Don’t live the good life live the better life.
- Contributed to a book with Brian Tracy
- Book related to his travel nursing career: Going global, the life of a travelling nurse.
- A book of memorable stories by health care workers: Crossing the bed side.
- Favourite authors: Larry Winget, Rene Godefroy, Tony Robbins, Zig Ziglar, Brian Tracy.
20:40 – Living the better life
- Don’t settle for where you are. Don’t settle for just “good” push yourself to improve yourself and your situation, whatever that may be.
- You need to tell yourself that you want a better life. No matter what, you can always improve things no matter how good it might already be.
- Living limitlessly and striving for excellence. Always striving for more.
- If you constantly keeping yourself busy, you won’t ever worry about what’s going wrong.
- If you’re busy and always involved, you’ll adapt.
- It’s okay to get things wrong, you learn as you grow.
- It’s important to encourage people to take risks, and not be afraid of failure.
- It’s okay to fail, and you shouldn’t let it defeat you.
- Failure is not a stopping point, it’s a learning point.
24:36 – Mental Health
- Recommended book: Let them see you sweat by Michael Levin.
- Mental health can affect your physical health
- Mental health can affect anyone at anytime. It’s a serious problem, and it’s something that needs to be addressed and taken seriously in our everyday lives in the same way that physical health is.
- It’s common for people to become overwhelmed by worrying about things that could go wrong, not realizing all the things that could go well.
- It’s okay to take mental health days and take time for yourself to relax and do things that you enjoy. We need to take time for ourselves.
- With the way that technology is so readily available to us, we never really shut down and have time to ourselves.
- Bell Let’s Talk Day is a step in the right direction, because mental health is something that we need to talk about and work through.
- Your problems are real to you, and it’s important to take them seriously.
- Pockets of Progress: focus on the small pockets in your life where you are succeeding and moving forward regardless of where you are in life.
- Don’t be afraid to reach out to other people for help, such as mentors or people who are close to you.
41:17 – Other ways that Ankit adds value
- Ultimate goal: someone works with him or reads one of the passages from his book and are inspired or entertained. He hopes for people to be in a better state after working with him.
- Training to be a life coach
- motivational speaking through college and business forums and civic clubs
- answers emails from people who need advice or someone to talk to
- Hosts a bi-weekly internet broadcast.
43:21 – NLP Training
- Neural Linguistic Programming
- Tony Robbins and Oprah Winfry both have this training
- About understanding the subconscious mind, and how it drives our conscious mind.
- Everything we do is subconsciously planted.
- “Power with, not power over”
- You’re not there to tell people what to do, you’re just there to guide them to their own answers.
46: 19 – Change
- Everybody is afraid of change
- Change is inevitable.
- The only thing that is predictable is unpredictability.
- Don’t resist change, let things happen. It will catch up to you eventually anyways.
48: 45 – Quotes
- “Embrace opportunity not security. A boat in the harbour may be safe, but eventually the bottom will rot out.”
- “I would have been the best at whatever I want to do in life. If I were to be a garbage man, I would be the best garbage man ever.”
- “You can’t live in a blueprint. A blueprint is a plan, if the house never gets built, then the blueprint is useless.”
- “Get busy living, or get busy dying”
54:37 – The US Federal Election, learning from others, and listening to all sides
- Just because someone is on a different “side” or has a different view doesn’t mean that you can’t listen to them and learn from what they have to say.
- “Why we want you to be rich” by Donald Trump and Robert Kiyosaki
- Find the good in everyone
- Everyone has values, and they have meaning and purpose for doing something.
- Our surrounding can influence how someone can become. We are all affected by our external environment.
- It can be important to remove any negative influences.
- We must be aware of our issues, and you have to let people know what issues you are having with someone else.
- Take care of yourself before you take care of others. When you are strong and in a better place, you can help others.
1:05:00 – Where to find Ankit
- Website: www.ankitshukla.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheEvenBetterLife/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/ankitonur
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ankit-shukla-99089a72
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEeVcWKD04P8lgsjnJNzmOw
1:06:50 – Outro
Den of Pride Links
Don’t Live the Good Life, Live the Better Life by Ankit Shukla
Going Global: The Life of a Travelling Nurse
Crossing the Bedside: Healthcare Worker’s Most Memorable Stories
Let Them See You Sweat: Lessons I’ve Learned on My Personal Journey with Stress by Michael Levin
Why We Want You to Be Rich by: Donald J. Trump and Robert T. Kiyosaki